Seven people have been confirmed dead in the late-night attack by terrorists on the Abuja-Kaduna passenger train. This is even as the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) Engineer Fidet Okhiria has departed Lagos for Abuja to personally monitor development at the scene of the attack.
Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune exclusively while at the Lagos airport, Engineer Fidet Okhiria explained that information from the scene of the attack at the moment indicates that seven people died from the attack last night.
According to the NRC MD, “What we have been told for now is that seven people are dead. I am however at the airport in Lagos right now. I have to get there to monitor developments myself.”
The NRC had earlier in the day announced suspension of the Abuja-Kaduna passenger train services over the late night attack by terrorists.
In a message posted on its booking website and social media handles in the early hours of Tuesday, the NRC said it was suspending the service for the safety of travellers.
The corporation however, said it was working to restore the service, and would inform the public when the train will start running again.
Newswatcplus reported earlier that the terrorists on Monday night bombed and successfully immobilised the 970 passenger-filled Abuja-Kaduna train.
It was gathered that the terrorists planted explosives on the rail tracks and bombed the train just before Rijana, a community along the rail line in Kaduna notorious for kidnapping and other security breaches.