Segun Oni, Social Democratic Party (SDP) candidate in Ekiti governorship election, has dismissed the rumour that he has withdrawn from the race.
In a fake letter widely circulated on social media, Oni was said to have withdrawn and endorsed Bisi Kolawole, his Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) opponent.
According to the fake letter claimed to have been personally signed by the SDP candidate, Oni pulled out of the exercise on the eve of the election and told his followers that he had been duped.
He was quoted to have said the National Working Committee (NWC) of the SDP was illegal and he did not realise this until recently.
The letter also claimed that some lawyers, including 11 Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs), advised him not to continue “wasting his time”.
A copy of the purported withdrawal letter sighted by our correspondent was dated June 17, 2022.
But speaking with newsmen on Saturday morning, Moses Jolayemi, his media aide, said the letter was from his political enemies who have no good intention for the state.
He urged the people of the state to go out en masse and vote.
“I am debunking the statement as madness. This is the last phase of their madness. I am urging the people of the state to go out en masse and vote for Segun Oni. If it is the will of God, Oni will win the election today, but if it is not, those people will go down with their madness. Our people should disregard the statement as the handwork of evil people.”